How to Find Your Face Shape for the Best Makeup Look
You might have wondered at times why the hairstyle or the makeup that looks one of your friends look so stunningly attractive doesn’t look too good on another! This is nothing unusual because makeup looks and hairdos have a lot to do with the shape of your face. Right from the how to apply blush stick and bronzer, to your routine makeup, you’ll nail it once you know the right shape of your face. Our expert makeup specialist is here to tell you how to find your face shape so that you can follow up on the rest!!!
Table of Content:
- 7 Reasons Why you should know your face shape
- Makeup placement
- Sculpting and contouring
- Emphasized areas
- De-emphasis parts
- Glass shapes
- Hemline and accessories
- Step-by-step process on how to find your face shape
- Tie back all your hair
- Measure the widest part of the forehead
- Measure across the cheekbones
- Measure the jawline
- Measure face length
- Compare measurements and determine face shape
- Wrapping up
7 Reasons Why you should know your face shape
A lot of people may say that the shape of your face can tell a lot about your personality! But keeping all predictive conjectures aside, let’s see why your face shape is so important for other practical purposes.
- Makeup placement: The most important part of knowing about the right shape of your face is to understand how you should use and place makeup on it.
- Sculpting and contouring: Knowing the shape of your face helps you to sculpt and contour it to give the best look out of it.
- Emphasized areas: You are aware of just the part of your face that you need to emphasize more with the blush or contour colors.
- De-emphasis parts: It lets you know which part of your face is best left alone and not touched with any color.
- Haircut: Your face shape determines which haircut will flatter it the most.
- Glass shapes: The shape of your face determines which glasses or sunglasses look best on you.
- Hemline and accessories: The hemline of your dress and accessories to match them too depending on the shape of your face.
Now that you know how important the shape of your face is for your looks and personality, it’s time to know how to find out your face shape!
Step-by-step process on how to find your face shape
Get down to the process of how to find your face shape with a few simple steps and you’re sure to benefit from it for the rest of your life!!!
1. Tie back all your hair
Start with the basics right so that later on you don’t go wrong with the measurements that determine the shape of the face!
- Pull back all your hair neatly so that it does not obstruct your view of the face or cover any part of it while taking measurements.
- This will help give the clear outline of the face that you need to measure it out for to determine its correct shape;
2. Measure the widest part of the forehead
Move on to measuring the face parts carefully so that you have the proportions recorded right to get the shape of your face!
- Take a soft and flexible measuring tape and wrap it around the widest part of the forehead while looking at the mirror.
- This is mostly the area between your eyebrows and the beginning of your hairline.
- Write the measurement on a piece of paper indicating the part you’ve measured.
3. Measure across the cheekbones
Time to move on to measuring the next part of your face and record its width which alone often is the key factor determining the shape of the face!
- Now, take the measuring tape and place it on the most prominent part of your cheekbones.
- This is usually the area that is just below the outer corner of your eyes.
- Be mindful of not letting the nose interfere with the measurement, so place the measuring tape away from the face to get an accurate measurement.
- Measure and note it as indicative of the cheek area.
4. Measure the jawline
Come to the lower part of your face and place the measuring tape around it so that you can document the statistics for the final figures!
- To get the correct measurement of your jawline, place the end of the measuring tape beneath the ear where the jaw ends and extend it to the tip of the chin.
- Once you get the figure, multiply it by 2 and note it as the total length of your jawline.
5. Measure face length
It’s time to get down to the final measurement of your face taking it’s length into consideration so that you can compare it with the width!
- The last measurement you need to take is that of the length and width of your face.
- Place the measuring tape at the center of your hairline on the forehead and measure till the tip of the chin.
6. Compare measurements and determine face shape
Comparing the measurements will give you a clear idea about the shape of your face by looking at the greatest and smallest numbers.
- If the length of the face is almost as similar as its width, it is either round or square in shape.
- If your jaws are wide-looking and angular, then it’s a square face. a round face has a rounded jawline.
- If the length of the face is greater than its width, it may be oval, oblong, or rectangular in shape.
- If the measurements from the forehead to the cheekbones and the jawline decrease, then it is either oval or heart-shaped.
- If you have straight and pointed jawlines with the above measurements, you have a heart-shaped face.
- If the above measurements are all very similar, then the face is oblong in its shape.
- If the measurements from the forehead to the jawline keep increasing, then it’s triangular in shape.
You can always create the illusion of changing the shape of your face by applying blush color strategically
Now that you know how to find out your face shape and the real shape it has, it’s time to flatter it with the right makeup types! Get your hands on the right blush color and contour for your skin tone from DE’LANCI Double-headed Blush Stick and DE’LANCI Double-ended Contouring Stick! Let us know in the comment section below how you’ve been using these products in different ways for your best looks!!