How to Apply Concealer for Beginners: 10 Steps to Use Concealer Like a Pro
Concealer is among the must-have makeup items that every girl and woman needs! Most people are not aware that the concealer is used to conceal the flaws, and also does a lot more. In our tutorial on how to apply concealer for beginners, we’re going to let out all those secrets to using this wonder product optimally. See how the De’Lanci Multi-Color Foundation Concealer can become a game-changer in your everyday makeup routine! Knowing the right tips and tricks for using this makeup staple will take your looks to the next level.
Table of contents
- How to choose the right concealer for your skin?
- Concealer for dry skin type
- Concealer for oily skin type
- Concealer for light coverage
- Concealer that is a do-it-all
- Know the steps how to apply concealer
- Start with a clean skin
- Prime it up well
- Prep your skin with concealer
- Set the concealer
- How to apply concealer for dark circles
- How to conceal scars, and acne marks
- How to conceal redness or red patches
- How to use concealer as a highlighter
- How to use concealer for fuller-looking lips
- How to use concealer as eyeshadow primer
- How to hide eyeliner mistakes with a concealer
- How to line your brows with concealer
How to choose the right concealer for your skin?
The first step to how to apply concealer for beginners, and the best makeup hacks is picking the right product for your skin type so that it holds out for hours against all climatic conditions.
1. Concealer for dry skin type
Pick a creamy and hydrating concealer like De’Lanci Multi-Color Foundation Concealer that is specially made for this skin type. This buildable liquid concealer does not dry out the skin. Its special formula consists of plant extract, and Vitamin E that moisturizes the skin, keep it healthy and make it firmer. The lightweight formula offers a smooth finish to cover up skin tone inconsistencies and lasts up to 12 hours.
2. Concealer for oily skin type
For an oily skin try out a concealer that offers an ultra-matte finish. Make sure that for this skin type you set it all right with a translucent powder. This trick not just makes the concealer set in on the skin but also helps cover the blemishes well. There are formulas on the market that mattify the skin giving a shin-free coverage yet make the complexion appear fresh and glowing.
3. Concealer for light coverage
For those of you who are blessed with less blemish-free skin but need a concealer to do its job in some parts, a light coverage product is ideal. There are these serum-concealer hybrid products that offer an extremely light coverage while also taking care of the skin. They just sink into the skin without leaving a feeling of having applied anything, and give a beautifully glowing skin that looks as though without makeup!
4. Concealer that is a do-it-all
Again there are those concealers that offer medium to full coverage. They are meant to take care of all types of hyperpigmentation, dark circles, blemishes, acne spots, red patches, and you name it! If you have more than one of these conditions, this is the type of concealer that you need to do the work of covering it up all in a single swipe. Now that you know which concealer to pick, let’s move to the next section on how to apply concealer for beginners!
Know the steps how to apply concealer
Knowing how to apply the concealer will go a long way in ensuring you reap the full benefits of the product effortlessly. Here’s how to apply concealer for beginners the right way…
1. Start with a clean skin
There’s no substitute to a fresh and clean skin! Take care to exfoliate it and do away with dead skin to expose the fresh skin. It also clears up your skin pores that help in blending the makeup evenly on the skin. Apply a light moisturizer on the skin before applying makeup products to keep it hydrated. For hot and summer days, use a moisturizer with SPF to prevent any skin damage from the sun.
2. Prime it up well
Primers are colorless liquids that help in smoothening the skin and prep it as the makeup canvas. It blurs out open pores and evens unwanted skin textures while also correcting discolorations. They also help remove fine lines and traces of hyperpigmentation. Dab primer onto your skin in dots, rub it in with circular motions and wait for a couple of minutes it to skin into the skin before applying anything else.
3. Prep your skin with concealer
It’s critical that you prime your skin with a good product and set the base. Next, move on to apply a foundation according to your skin tone for that even skin. Finally, clear the canvas of all blemishes using a concealer. If you apply the concealer first and then apply foundation, you will end up removing the product. This will undo the very purpose of concealing any blemish that you wish to cover up. But, of course, if you wish to go for that minimal no-makeup look, you may consider applying liquid concealer after applying the foundation. This is an invaluable tip on how to apply concealer for beginners.
4. Set the concealer
Once you’ve successfully covered all those annoying dark circles, spots, and blemishes, it’s time to set the concealer. Use a loose translucent or compact powder to over the Multicolor concealer and blend it in all over. Use a brush to do the work so that it carries just the amount of powder needed over your skin to give a smooth and even finish to your skin. Dab in some extra powder in places where you’ve used concealer just to ensure that it doesn’t run off during the course of the day.
How to apply concealer for dark circles
The very sight of under-eye circles or under-eye bags tempts you to apply a layer concealer directly on top of it. But, that is not how to apply under eye concealer! If you do that, you’ll be actually highlighting the puffiness instead of hiding it.
- The best way to de-emphasize any discoloration under the eyes is to dot the area with De'lanci's Multicolor Liquid concealer.
- Once you have the areas covered, it’s time to blend the product using a good blending brush. Make sure to read our Guide to Makeup Brushes to learn the exact use of different types of makeup brushes.
- When blending in the concealer, just pat the product into the skin with the brush.
- Here’s an invaluable how to apply concealer for beginners hack! Never drag the brush or smear the product; it will end up caking the product and creasing the skin under the eyes.
- If there isn't a lot to cover under the eyes, apply concealer only on the inner and outer corners of the under-eye. It will give create an undetectable lifted effect!
How to conceal scars and acne marks
An important trick to concealing scars and blemishes of any type is to assess their types – flat or raised.
- If the scar is raised, use a lightweight creamy concealer that effortlessly hides it.
- In case of those flat scars, use a product that is slightly thicker in consistency that will give a fuller coverage on them to make the skin even with the surrounding.
- In both cases, after applying the concealer, make sure to set it with a translucent powder that will keep the product in place.
How to conceal redness or red patche.
When it comes to covering the stubborn redness of the face, or zits, your classic concealer may not be able to cut through to do its job! We’ll give a value tip with our how to apply concealer for beginners!
- This is when you need a swap it for a Multicolor Liquid concealer with a green formula that cancels out the redness evenly.
- Make sure to apply this product only on the patches that need to be covered.
- Use tiny dots to cover the area and blend well using a brush patting the product to get absorbed into the skin.
How to use concealer as a highlighter
Concealing is not the only job that this amazing product does!
- Use a concealer that is a couple of shades lighter than your normal skin tone to highlight your face.
- Just add dots of concealer to places where you would have applied a highlighter.
- Use it on the high points of your face such as under the brows, on the bridge of the nose, temple areas, and the chin.
- Blend it in and give your face an instantly highlighted glow! You’re already mastering the how to apply concealer for beginners guide!
How to use concealer for fuller-looking lips
There are some amazing uses of the incredible concealer that can take your makeup look a notch higher! Use it to give your lips a plump look.
- Prime your lips or apply foundation on them.
- Take a fine lip brush and draw an outline around the lip using the concealer.
- The reverse lining gives the illusion of a bigger mouth.
- Another trick is to use the concealer after applying lipstick; dab some on the center of the lips and dab in gently to create a lighter ombre. It will make your lips plumper and fuller.
- Dab a little concealer on your Cupid’s brow and blend in to give your lips an instantly fuller look.
How to use concealer as eyeshadow primer
You can also use the concealer to keep your eyeshadow from creasing. This is among those wonderful how to apply concealer for beginners tricks that will help you use it like a pro!
- Apply concealer onto your eyelids in place of a primer but to work as a primer; it’ll create a crease-free base to apply eyeshadow.
- This trick will also help your eyeshadow color last longer.
- It prevents eyeshadow from slipping or sliding across the lids, especially in hot and humid conditions.
How to hide eyeliner mistakes with a concealer
Even after putting in your best efforts, you might end up having a bad eyeliner day! This is when you can put to best use your concealer friend to do all the covering up!
- Use an angled eyeliner brush to take the concealer product.
- Use it over any jagged lines, or smudges to cover it up.
- Dab the product using the patting motions of the brush.
- Take care to restrict it to the error area only.
How to line your brows with concealer
Here’s how you can get those well-defined brows that frame your eyes making it the center of your face!
- Take the concealer product on an angles brush and define the arch of your brows.
- Use a concealer that is a shade lighter than your skin tone and draw the outline.
- Blend it with your skin by dabbing the product in using your fingertips.
- The warmth of your body will help it diffuse faster.
From covering the unwanted spots to giving a flushing glow, the sheer power of concealer is just outstanding! We’ve covered it all in our guide on how to apply concealer for beginners, you can also checkout our concealer guide. Just make sure to pick the right product as per your skin type and tone, and move on to give yourself a gorgeous makeover. Pick a concealer that is a shade lighter than your skin tone for the best results! Explore the complete range of makeup products from high-quality makers De’Lanci and give your makeup a faultless finish.